December 6, 2012 by seriesofassortedevents
Last night’s treadmill run was a good one! I used this workout that I found on this blog. Let me tell ya, intervals are butt kickers! Here’s the original workout, but I made some adjustments because I was a little sore from Body Pump.
- 3 minute warm up: 4.5 mph
- 3 minute tempo: 6.5 mph
- Set 1: sprint 1 minute (7.5 mph), jog 1 minute (6mph), sprint 1 (7.5 mph)
- 3 minute tempo (6.7 mph)
- 3 minute RECOVERY! 4.5 mph
- 5 minute tempo: 6.7 mph (this is when you realize you aren’t on a long run and it won’t be easy)
- Set 2: sprint 1 (7.5 mph), jog 1 (6 mph), sprint 1 (7.5mph), jog 1 (6 mph), sprint 1 (7.5)
- 5 minute tempo: 7mph
- 3 minute recovery: 4.5 mph (I added an extra minute to the recovery because I added extra weight in BP last night)
- 3 minute tempo: 7 mph
- Set 3: sprint 1 (7.5 mph), jog 1 (6 mph), sprint 1 (7.5 mph)
- 3 minute tempo (I basically completely nixed this last tempo since it only lasted 1:30 minutes…
It was a challenge and I’m sad to report that my ankle pain was rearing its ugly head, even in my new shoes. Considering last night I went up on my back, squat, and lunge weight in Body Pump I started out sore but regardless of this it was still a ballin’ workout. This one’s going in the repertoire! It was nice to get in a little speed work for the first time in eons. We did 400s, 600s, and 800s in cross country when I was a freshmen and I liked them nearly as much as the long runs. Welcome back, my interval buddies. Maybe soon I’ll do some long tempo runs or what we called “threshold runs” in cross country (holding a moderately hard pace for about 20 or 25 minutes, moderate rest, then another threshold pace). MAYBE, just MAYBE, I’ll really go back to my cross country days and do the f-word: fartlek. We’ll see! Speed work is fun, but nothing can ever beat a long run.
Now is the time in the post when I’ll embarrass myself. I couldn’t think of any pictures to put for this run since it was on a treadmill so I just took selfies that describe the run. Yes, I’m a freak.
When I came home I dilly dallied on the internet for a while, took a shower, then ate dinner.
For dessert I had
two four of the dark chocolates from my unsecret Santa. I see where things are going regarding this dark chocolate and I like it.
I’m just getting out of my 1021 final! I got an 84B which is enough to keep my A in the course. I’m getting a college credit and done with one mid-term! I probably could have gotten a better grade had I done the practice test more than three times, but I really don’t mind my grade. Off to the rest of the school day now and an easy run tonight. I’m not too keen on easy runs but after last night I know it’s what I need. Ugh.